Balancing Easter Treats – By Amanda Rusch Ferreira

Let’s be honest. We’re not getting away from the chocolate eggs this Easter, as much as we would love to hide hard boiled eggs and baby carrots in the bushes instead of 3kg of chocolate. And there’s really nothing wrong with that – when it comes to the 80:20 rule (eating healthy 80% of the time, and letting life happen the other 20%), what better time to allow some treats into kiddie’s life?

An important principle to remember at this point is the value of balancing out all that sugar with some fat, protein, fibre and water. Loads of chocolate on its own will cause a rapid blood sugar crash, in turn leading to craving for more sugar, then another sugar crash, and ultimately an Easter afternoon filled with a tears, tantrums and trouble. Introducing other elements will help to break through that cycle.

So make sure your breakfast on Easter morning is low in carbs (try eggs with some fried mushrooms and tomatoes, or a vegetable omelette) and make sure lunch is filled with protein (lamb, chicken) and vegetables (cauliflower mash, roast vegetables) with some fat drizzled over.  Make sure they drink loads of water.

This recipe, while including good ol’ store bought sugary chocolate eggs, is a nifty way of balancing out a dessert with some fat, protein and fibre. It will help fill up your little one to prevent them from turning back to the chocolate basket. It will slow the release of sugar to prevent glucose spikes and crashes. Oh, and it looks adorable.

Easter egg nest

Makes 5-10 nests

2 slabs dark chocolate (preferably 85% or 90% cocoa), broken up

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp almond, macadamia or organic peanut butter

½ cup almond slivers

½ cup coconut flakes

15-30 Chocolate Speckled Eggs

  1. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, stirring until completely smooth. Stir in the butter and nut butter until melted together.
  2. Add almonds and coconut, stirring together until they are evenly coated with the chocolate.
  3. Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake holders
  4. Scoop a heaped tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into each liner, spreading along the bottom and up the sides. Try to make a “nest” shape with a little well in the middle.
  5. Refrigerate or freeze for 20-30 minutes.
  6. Pop each nest out of the liner and fill with 3 Chocolate Speckled Eggs
  7. Serve before it reaches room temperature.

 

 

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *